Xylitol: Sweet…but Deadly!
Xylitol is a low-calorie sugar substitute that has helped diabetics and weight loss seekers to get their sugar fix without the calories. Xylitol is appearing in products you’d never suspect. New products on the market such as sleep aids, multivitamins, sedatives, antacids, stool softeners amy contain unexpectedly
large amounts of xylitol. Dogs that ingest these products may face a double risk – poisoning by the xylitol (a sugar alcohol) and also liver failure.
Xylitol is also sold in bulk to substitute of table sugar for baking and home use.
Pet Poison Helpline has had several cases of dogs becoming severely intoxicated after ingesting homemade bread, muffins and cupcakes made with xylitol.
Toxicity is dose dependent. The dose necessary to cause dangerously low blood sugar could be as little as one piece of xylitol chewing gum for a 10-pound dog. To obtain a list or which products contain xylitol, google “products containing xylitol.”
If you suspect that your dog has ingested a xylitol containing product, call the Poison Control Hotline at 1-800-548-2423.
By: Dr. Johnson
Pine Bluff Animal Hospital